Sunday, September 26, 2010

Questions/Getting Started

Why blog?

This is an opportunity for your thoughts to live in the minds of other people, rather than stay hidden in your notebooks! My hope is that this will create a feeling of community among you as readers--and as writers.

What kind of reading responses am I looking for on your blog?


The key word is RESPONSE.  I'm not looking for a reading retell or even a reading review necessarily.  I want you to find something in your independent reading life that sparks a thought you would like to explore with writing and share with your classmates.  Responding can mean that you find one single line that speaks to you and you feel compelled to write about it.  Responding can mean that a theme of the book got you thinking.  Responding can mean that you are so angry or so in love with how a character reacted that you can't *not* write about it.  It's all about responding from your voice, mind and heart to what you are reading.

What kind of expectations do I have?


You will have one thoughtful response per week.  If your post is only a retell of the book (or anything that resembles that) you will have to re-do it, so it's not worth even posting just a retell.  This is also how I will hold you accountable to your reading life.  For instance, you may post about a book a few times if it takes you two weeks (or longer, if the book is especially challenging or long).  Maybe the first week will be about a "micro" idea (see your class notes! miiiiicro!) that caught your eye.  Then your second week post will be about a macro (stretch that arm across the sky!) idea that you noticed throughout the book. Or, any combination.

Are there other requirements?

I would like for you to start "following" at least 3 other blogs.  Create a "blog roll" on your sidebar.  You will need to read and comment on these blogs, and my hope is that you will get to know that person as a reader and writer.  I'm sure I don't have to tell you this, but.  Please do not post anything that is inappropriate or mean in any way.

Every 4-5 weeks we will take a break from posting online and we will work on our writing craft by printing out and revising one of our favorite posts.

Other news...

I'll be posting an "All Star Mentor Of The Week" post every week--spotlighting a post that is brilliant, unique or thought-provoking.  All Star Mentors will also get a high five, a sticker and be announced in class (honor! accomplishment! glory!)!

Please peruse the 2009-2010 All Star Mentors I have posted here to get ideas on the kinds of posts that I find to be excellent. Use them as guides (and feel free to leave an encouraging comment/word of thanks for being brave enough to share with everyone) and mentor texts.

My classroom computers are your computers. Let me know if you need time to post because you don't have access at home.

HAVE FUN!

1 comment:

  1. i just checked the 804 blogs column and my blog was not there so this is my blog:
    http://goodmorningseniors.blogspot.com/

    susan guaman 804

    ReplyDelete